Historic Union Cemetery
The Union Cemetery Association was established November 1, 1878 when Colburn Preston, a pioneer of the Point of Timber area, sold four acres, specifying that they be used solely for a cemetery. Prior to that, burials were performed on family property or at the Point of Timber grave yard on the Willís Ranch, located at the present-day Marsh Creek Road and State Highway Route 4 (Byron Highway). Some residents objected that the cemetery was too close to a school (Excelsior School). In addition to that the burial grounds were under water during the raining season, making it next to impossible to open graves. The moving of bodies to the newer site explains why some of the headstones pre-date the 1878 founding date.
Non-denominational and public, the cemetery is now controlled by the Byron-Brentwood-Knightsen Union Cemetery District, voted into existence by the local taxpayers in 1928, under the State Cemetery Act of 1909.